Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Controls Engineer will work closely with the Electrical Technologist and Design Team. You will be instrumental in developing hardware and software control systems for band saw metal sawing machines. In addition, you will create and maintain electrical schematics, bills of materials, product manuals, and programs. The position focuses on development of new control system of the sawing machine highly versatile to connect with other devices or systems. Experience with the programming of and application of industrial PC to control industrial equipment in addition to knowledge of CODESYS hardware independent automation development software is a must!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and program new industrial PC based control system for automatic band saw cutting machines and material handling devices.
- Develop remote control platform over the WAN or LAN networks for the automatic band saw cutting machines
- Develop/program complex operations involving saw and in-house material handling systems
- Utilize VFD, Stepper and Servo drives for saw functions
- Participate in the design of control circuitry in adherence with industrial standards
- Evaluate new control technologies to develop industry leading solutions.
- Assist with trouble shooting of our product to support manufacturing and service
- Provide instructions to manufacturing, assembly and service as required
- Assist and be part of engineering office processes (revisions, engineering changes, information packages for outsourcing)
- Provide support to maintenance/creation of product manuals and input to improve functionality, manufacturability, and decrease overall product costs
- Produce electrical drawings, electrical Bill of materials for our product as needed
- Provides support with selection/sourcing required electrical and control components to purchasing as needed.
- Involved with prototype building, testing and evaluation as required
- Support/maintain engineering information in company ERP System
- 4-year University Degree in Mechatronic, Electrical, Software/Computer or Controls Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience in industrial machinery environment. Background in machine tool design preferred
- Experience with the programming of and application of industrial PC to control industrial equipment is a must have.
- Experience with Mitsubishi PLC and VFD programming and setup is considered an asset.
- Experience with HMI programming, servo, VFD, and stepper motor controls
- Knowledge of CODESYS hardware independent automation development software is a must
- CAN-open, Modbus, PLC-open, OPC UA, ETHERCAT, in addition to C#, Python experience would be an asset
- Knowledge of Closed loop control system and PID algorithm
- Experience of data integration from the collection of factory floor data using SQL databases, OPC/UA drivers, and various HMI/PC presentation platforms is an asset.
- Experience in motion control of industrial equipment
We offer a competitive annual compensation, company paid benefits package, Group RRSP match, internal training, opportunities for advancement, and more! Interested and qualified individuals looking for an interactive, fast-paced, busy environment, please forward a WORD version of your resume. Please include a personal email address. We are conveniently located within the 401/403 corridor.